Married Couples

Spread the love

If your marriage has broken down you may wish to make the separation permanent. 


Before you can apply for a divorce you need to have been married for at least 12 months. If you have been married for less than one year you may wish to consider a Judicial Separation or a Separation Agreement as an alternative. For more information about the divorce process please click here.

Separation Agreements

If you are not ready for the finality of a divorce you may prefer to formally separate for a period first. To ensure that your joint financial matters are addressed during your separation you may need a Separation Agreement.

Separation Agreements are bespoke and drawn up with careful consideration of your personal circumstances, and allow you to address issues about your joint finances and matters concerning your children.

As the Agreement is essentially a contract, both you and your spouse will need to agree the terms.


An Annulment can be sought on the basis that either the marriage was not valid in the first instance or it is defective for one of a number of specific reasons. An Annulment can be applied for at any point in a marriage and does not require 12 months of marriage as a Divorce Petition does.

The law relating to Annulments is specific and complex and we can provide you with specialist legal advice.

Judicial Separation

Upon separating some people decide to have a Judicial Separation rather than a divorce. This tends to be for religious, moral, or ethical reasons, or due to the fact that a Judicial Separation can be applied for during the first year of marriage.

Our Family Law team have considerable experience of Judicial Separations and would be happy to talk through the process with you.


For more information about any of the above, or for a no obligation discussion, please email or call Blacks’ Family Law team today on 0113 227 9285.